2021 NFL Mock Draft: Picks 1-8
1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. NY Jets: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
3. San Francisco 49ers: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
4. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
5. Cincinnati Bengals: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
6. Miami Dolphins: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
7. Los Angeles Chargers (TRADE with DET): Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
8. New England Patriots (TRADE with CAR): Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Want your voice heard? Join the The Jet Press team!
The first two picks are locks, and I’m in the camp that refuses to believe that the 49ers will pick Mac Jones until they actually do it. The chatter in recent days has swayed my opinion, I think Lance will be the pick at No. 3.
Atlanta could be a trade-down candidate, and I think they could consider Lance if he’s still on the board. But Pitts is the best non-QB in this class and is an easy pick for the Falcons to make.
Cincinnati could go Penei Sewell, but signs seem to point to them going wide receiver. Miami seems to prefer Jaylen Waddle over his Alabama teammate meaning that we could see DeVonta Smith slide a little.
We have two trades here. The first sees the Chargers trade up to No. 7 to secure their franchise left tackle reuniting Penei Sewell and Justin Herbert in Los Angeles. Detroit is a prime trade-down candidate.
The Patriots also trade up, but they do so to draft their QB of the future in Justin Fields. Carolina could consider drafting Fields here (even after trading for Sam Darnold), but they might not be able to pass up the offer New England sends them.
The Patriots need to land a quarterback early in the draft and with Fields still on the board at eight, they make the move.