Jun 17, 2014; Florham Park, USA; New York Jets quarterbacks Geno Smith (7) and Michael Vick (1) during New York Jets minicamp at Atlantic Health Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports

Geno Smith vs. Michael Vick: Keeping it Real

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Geno Smith vs. Michael Vick has become a very highly touted competition. Any quarterback competition is going to attract a lot of attention, due to the mere importance of the position. Add to it being in New York, and that just adds on to the interest.

In fact, Gregg Rosenthal from the league website writes in his Training Camp preview that the competition between Smith and Vick is “…one of the most genuine quarterback competitions in years.”   With all due respect to Mr. Rosenthal, it’s hard to see where he is coming from, if you really look at the competition, and the months that have led up to it.

I would like to give you some reminders, some things to remember, in order to keep the Smith vs. Vick competition “real”.

BARRING DRAMATIC CHANGE, THE JOB BELONGS TO GENO SMITH

Although it has been billed as a competition, is it really? When looking closely, it certainly is a “slanted” competition. Remember what Marty Morhinweg said? That Smith will get 70-75% of the reps with the first team, and the other 25% will go to Michael Vick.

Does that sound like an even competition to you? For every 100 snaps, Smith gets 75, and Vick gets 25. That, my friends, is a rigged competition. The Jets want Geno Smith to be the starter, and he would have to be very bad to not be the starter in week one.

SMITH IS DURABLE, VICK IS NOT

Michael Vick has had impressive seasons, but just can’t stay on field. Vick hasn’t played in all 16 games since 2006. Geno Smith, however, did play in all ganes last season except for the one game he was benched. Despite an ankle problem early, Smith stayed in the lineup. Durability is important for a starting quarterback.

DON’T BUILD AROUND A 34 YEAR OLD QB

“Sustainable success” does not come from starting a 34-year-old quarterback. Sure, he can play in a pinch if needed, but he will never be the leader. You need a leader that has some years in front of him, and that would make the answer, Geno Smith. Smith needs to take hold of the job the way he as taken the leadership role. If he doesn’t, and Michael Vick is under center week one, it will not be good for the Jets, and certainly not long-term.

Geno Smith is the quarterback. The Jets want Smith to be the quarterback. If we are keeping it real, it will take a huge change of events for Smith to not be the starter.

Want more from The Jet Press?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix.
Enter your email and stay in the know.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Next Jets Game Full schedule »
Sunday, Oct 2626 Oct1:00Buffalo BillsBuy Tickets

Tags: Geno Smith Michael Vick New York Jets

comments powered by Disqus