New York Jets: A complete list of every former player in the XFL
By Justin Fried
The New York Jets will be well represented when the XFL kicks off with a number of former players on teams’ rosters. Here is a complete list of every former Jets player in the XFL.
The New York Jets seem to experience roster turnover at a higher rate than most teams. It seems that every year, the Jets cycle through dozens of players only for fans to never hear from them again the next year.
For that reason, it should come as no surprise that numerous former Jets players will be on XFL rosters once the league kicks off on February 8th.
The XFL teams officially announced their 52-man rosters on Monday and a few notable former NFL players were among those listed. Players like Landry Jones, Cardale Jones, and Josh Johnson will get a chance to revitalize their careers in the upstart league.
And as previously noted, the eight teams will consist of plenty of former Jets. In total, we counted 24 players who had spent time on the Jets roster in some fashion — be it practice squad, preseason, or even just in the offseason.
Each of the eight teams has at least two former Jets on their roster with the Los Angeles Wildcats having the most former Jets with five.
Below is a complete list of every former Jets player on an active XFL roster.
- Alex Balducci — C (Dallas Renegades)
- Brandon Barnes — TE (Los Angeles Wildcats)
- T.J. Barnes — DT (New York Guardians)
- William Campbell — OG (Seattle Dragons)
- Jeremy Clark — CB (Seattle Dragons)
- Stacy Coley — WR (Tampa Bay Vipers)
- Kony Ealy — DE (Houston Roughnecks)
- Obum Gwacham — OLB (Tampa Bay Vipers) [IR]
- De’Angelo Henderson — RB (Houston Roughnecks)
- Darius James — OT (Dallas Renegades)
- Anthony Johnson — DE (Los Angeles Wildcats)
- Taiwan Jones — LB (Los Angeles Wildcats)
- Tre McBride — WR (Los Angeles Wildcats)
- Robert Nelson — CB (St. Louis BattleHawks)
- Nick Novak — K (Los Angeles Wildcats)
- Santos Ramirez — S (Seattle Dragons)
- David Rivers — CB (St. Louis BattleHawks)
- Edmond Robinson — LB (Houston Roughnecks)
- Jalen Saunders — WR (Houston Roughnecks) [IR]
- Jake Schum — P (Tampa Bay Vipers)
- Jacquies Smith — DE (Seattle Dragons)
- Shamarko Thomas — S (DC Defenders)
- Jon Toth — C (DC Defenders)
- DeAngelo Yancey — WR (New York Guardians) [IR]
More from The Jet Press
- NY Jets: Jonnu Smith would be a smart free-agent target
- NY Jets: 3 non-quarterback trade targets on offense
- NY Jets expected to be ‘much more aggressive’ in free agency this year
- NY Jets: Patriots will not use the franchise tag on Joe Thuney
- NY Jets officially place the franchise tag on safety Marcus Maye
That’s a lot of names — most of which never actually suited up for the Jets in a regular-season contest. The vast majority only spent time with the Jets in the preseason — some as recent as this year — but there are a few players that Jets fans might recognize.
Defensive end Kony Ealy spent a season in green and white back in 2017 where he developed a knack for batting the ball down at the line of scrimmage. Ealy finished the year with nine pass deflections and an interception in 15 games played.
That same year, players like Robert Nelson, Edmond Robinson, and Obum Gwacham had brief cups of coffee with the team. Dating even further back, players like Taiwan Jones and T.J. Barnes saw some regular-season action.
As recently as this August, the likes of Darius James, Jon Toth, and Santos Ramirez were fighting for a roster spot only to be released before the start of the season.
Keen eyes will also notice a few failed Jets draft picks of the past on the list. Jalen Saunders was a 2014 fourth-round pick, William Campbell was a 2013 sixth-round pick, and Jeremy Clark was a 2017 sixth-round pick.
The XFL will have no shortage of former Jets when it kicks off the week after the Super Bowl meaning that Jets fans should have plenty of reasons to tune in and watch if only old time’s sake.