Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa entering the 2020 NFL Draft is great news for the New York Jets. Here are the top reasons why.
The New York Jets received a helping of good news on Monday from an unlikely place.
Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa announced his decision to enter the 2020 NFL Draft in a press conference.
There’s a zero percent chance the Jets will select Tua on draft day because they already have their franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold. Although the same can’t be said for the 10 teams in front of the Jets in the 2020 NFL Draft.
The green and white hold the 11th overall pick in the upcoming draft and they’re hoping one of the top offensive tackles fall to them. The chances of that happening increased ever so slightly with Tua entering the class.
We did a quick breakdown of the teams ahead of the Jets in the draft and the likelihood they select a quarterback:
100 percent need a quarterback:
- Cincinnati Bengals
- The team has been linked to Joe Burrow and one way or another will select a quarterback on draft day.
- Miami Dolphins
- The team has three first-round draft choices and likely their first one will be used on a quarterback.
- Los Angeles Chargers
- The Philip Rivers era is over and the team needs a future signal-caller.
- Carolina Panthers
- Cam Newton’s future is murky due to injuries and a large-cap figure. Undrafted free agent Kyle Allen showed promise at the beginning of the year but has since regressed.
- Washington Redskins
- The team drafted a quarterback with the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft (Dwayne Haskins) so they shouldn’t be interested in a quarterback, but we’re talking about the Redskins after all. With a new regime coming in anything is possible. Although the team is likely taking Chase Young with the second overall pick.
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- A very confusing situation here in Jacksonville: Nick Foles was paid a lot of money last offseason but he got hurt and played poorly. Gardner Minshew was a 2019 NFL Draft gem but also had poor moments.
- Detroit Lions
- Matthew Stafford is only 31 years old (will be 32 by the start of the 2020 season) but suffered a serious back injury this year. Plus the team doesn’t have a good backup plan for the future.
- Arizona Cardinals
- Each of the last two years, the Cardinals have used a top-10 pick on a quarterback. That streak ends in 2020, they have their man in Kyler Murray.
- Cleveland Browns
- While the entire front office has exploded, the team will surround the former No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield with talent, they won’t move on from him, they need to protect him.