New York Jets Add Kacy Rodgers to Run the Defense and Fill Out Todd Bowles Staff
The Jets have been hard at work, announcing several additions to Todd Bowles staff.
The Jets have added two coordinators, Kacy Rodgers to run the defense, and Bobby April to head up special teams. Here is a short bio on Rodgers, courtesy of the Jets website:
Rodgers and Bowles worked together on Bill Parcells’ Dallas staff in 2005. They were Cowboys for three seasons, then stayed together on Tony Sparano’s Miami Dolphins staff for the four years after that.
Perhaps most significant, wherever the two have coached, strong defenses have emerged.
Take these five major defensive categories: total yards allowed, rush yards allowed, pass yards allowed, points allowed and sacks by. In the past 12 seasons, including those seven with Bowles, Rodgers has helped develop an NFL top-10 unit in at least one of those five categories in every one of those seasons.
And from 2008-14, his entire tenure with Miami, Rodgers’ Dolphins D-lines have contributed strongly to 287 sacks, third-most in the NFL in that span behind only Minnesota and Philadelphia.
Sweet music, no doubt, to top performers Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, David Harris, Demario Davis, Damon Harrison and the rest of the members of the Jets “D”.
Before the pros, Rodgers coached D-line at Tennessee-Martin, Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tennessee State. He also rose to assistant head coach at UT-Martin (1997) and MTSU (2000-01).
As a Tennessee DE/LB, Kacy played in three consecutive New Year’s Day bowl games — the 1990 Cotton Bowl Classic, ’91 Sugar Bowl and ’92 Fiesta Bowl. He was an undrafted free agent who went to training camp with the Steelers in 1992 and also played football in Louisiana (the Shreveport Pirates) for a Canadian league (the CFL) in 1994.
Bobby April brings a long history with him to the Jets, as we will be his eighth team, starting back with the Falcons in 1991.
The Jets also hired eight assistant coaches as well, here they are:
- Mike Caldwell, Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers
- Mark Collins, Outside Linebackers
- Joe Danna, Defensive Backs-Safeties
- Karl Dorrell, Wide Receivers
- Robby Brown, Quality Control-Offense
- Justin Galac, Strength and Conditioning
- Kavan Latham, Assistant Strength and Conditioning
- Aaron McLaurin, Assistant Strength and Conditioning
The conditioning coaches are returning from Rex Ryan’s staff, the rest of new, see their biographies here.
Let’s see what they have…..
More from The Jet Press
- NY Jets expected to be ‘much more aggressive’ in free agency this year
- NY Jets: Patriots will not use the franchise tag on Joe Thuney
- NY Jets officially place the franchise tag on safety Marcus Maye
- NY Jets: 3 offensive linemen who are realistic trade targets
- NY Jets: 3 reasons to be optimistic about the 2021 season