New York Jets vs. Buffalo Bills Quick Hits
By Craig Hoffman
Nov 10, 2013; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone looks on against the Pittsburgh Steelers during the second half at Heinz Field. The Steelers won the game, 23-10. Mandatory Credit: Jason Bridge-USA TODAY Sports
The Jets were embarrassed in Buffalo by the Bills dropping the to 5-5 taking away the momentum they had in the process. It was a failure in all areas especially quarterback How did they do it? Here are the quick hits:
1) Geno Smith played terribly in cold weather again and had to be pulled…again- In the 1st half Smith was pressured and sacked 3 times. He had a key fumble on one of the sacks. He then threw an interception on the next possession. Those miscues led to 10 Buffalo points. He was 3/9 for 44 yards in the 1st half with 0 TDs, one interception and two fumbles (one lost). In the second half he threw two more interceptions including another pick-6 this one on a screen pass. There has been a knock on Smith going back to college that he doesn’t handle cold, windy weather well and he did not play well in the win vs. New Orleans or the game today. He was pulled for Simms in the 4th quarter down 34-7. Smith finished 8/23 for 103 yards with 0 touchdowns three interceptions and two fumbles (one lost). The only receiver who could get open was Santonio Holmes who had 71 yards on two catches but could have had a 3rd long gainer that just hit the ground. Smith locked on his targets all day and the Bills stepped in front easily. Jarius Byrd had 2 interceptions for the Bills.
2) Muhammad Wilkerson is still very, very good and the defense played ok – He was consistently in the backfield registering 6 tackles, 1 for loss and a pass defense on a deflected pass. Harrison and Richardson have played well. Richardson read a screen, then reversed field and caught Fred Jackson for a loss. Amazing athleticism. Unfortunately the corners were playing too far off letting Manuel have an easy 11/15 for 114 yards and a touchdown. 35 yards and a touchdown came on a pass flung up for grabs that TJ Graham saw was under thrown and Dee Milliner didn’t. In the second half the corners played man to man and got burned twice one by Graham on Milliner for 40 then a long one the next play with Goodwin beating Cromartie for 43 yards and a touchdown.
3) Offensive Line – The running game had just 61 yards and a 2.9 yard average and got very little push not counting the 69 yard run by Ivory in garbage time. Ivory had 94 yards on 14 carries after that run. They allowed 4 sacks, 9 hurries and 8 hits on Geno Smith mostly on important 3rd down plays. The biggest offender appears to be Brian Winters who was directly beaten on the sack that caused the fumble. There weren’t enough clean pockets nor consistency in the running game to get anything going offensively.
4) Jets getting completely out coached – The Buffalo coaching staff has done a lot better job making adjustments from the 1st time they played. Mike Pettine has been able to scheme a gameplan that took away the run and forced Geno Smith to beat them and he didn’t. Rex Ryan was not able to scheme the same pressure that resulted in 8 sacks in the 1st game and had the corners play off against backup receivers giving them a free release and playing zone giving Manuel easy throws. Then the Bills guessed the Jets adjustments in the second half of going man to man and threw two long bombs that resulted in a touchdown. Rex Ryan will be questioned about taking the team to Dave and Buster’s Saturday night after the team meeting.
5) Intensity from previous week just not there again – Each time the Jets have a big win they have watched and listened to the positive press and came out the next game poorly and without the proper intensity. This team has to play it’s best game to win each week they cannot come in overconfident and underestimate anyone or else they will lose and get embarrassed in the process. After a while alternating wins and losses is not a positive or acceptable result. The Jets were better than the Bills but the Bills were more focused and intense.
6) Special teams lacking – Nick Folk finally missed a field goal as a pretty large wind gust blew his 47 yard kick very far to the right. Folk’s kickoffs are allowing returns consistently as well. Ryan Quigley was hot and cold depending on which way the wind blew. Josh Cribbs was a highlight with 115 yards on 5 kick returns.
7) Turnovers – EJ Manuel and the Bills had none and Geno Smith and the Jets had 4 with 3 interceptions and a fumble that resulted in 20 Buffalo points. Until Smith learns to value the football consistently the Jets will not be a playoff team. You cannot win many football games when you lose the turnover battle by 4. Smith needs to find the safety a lot better as well as feel backside pressure from corners and safeties. The forced fumble wasn’t his fault as he was holding the ball correctly.