New York Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals Quick Hits
The Jets reached the halfway point of the season 4-4 which was better than most prognosticators gave them a chance to be. Today they got blown out by a tough Bengals team on the road 49-9. Here are the quick hits:
1) Andy Dalton dominates the Jets – Dalton was 19/30 for 325 yards with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception. He was 5-8 on 3rd down. Other than a goal line stand and an amazing interception by Wilkerson on a screen pass the Bengals scored a touchdown on every possession. He is averaging a huge 10.8 yards per attempt. The Bengals averaged 7.9 yards per play in the 1st half. The Jets could not cover Marvin Jones (the receiver not the former Jets linebacker) as he had 8 receptions for 122 yards and 4 touchdowns. Dee Milliner could not cover him and then after they pulled Milliner Walls couldn’t cover him either. AJ Green bested Antonio Cromartie for 3 catches and 115 yards including 2-53 yard bombs. There was no pressure by the defense with 1 coverage sack by Wilkerson and 1 quarterback hit. The Bengals starters averaged 3.3 yards per rush and got stuffed on a goal line stand.
2) Geno Smith pulled after 2 interceptions for touchdowns in the 2nd half – The Bengals had 3 sacks and 5 quarterback hits on Geno Smith as well as a few pressures that resulted in throwaways. This time Smith kept his footwork in the pocket, took what the defense gave him and did not turn the ball over in the first half. In the 2nd half Smith threw a pick six on his 1st throw on a ball where Kerley gave up on the route and let Crocker jump it and Smith looked furious. The second interception for a touchdown was a late throw across the field that was completely Smith’s fault and should have never been thrown. Smith could not get the Jets past the Bengals 25. He had 3 cracks and settled for field goals each time and that wasn’t going to get it done against the potent Bengals offense. He finished 20/30 for 159 yards with no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Smith was pulled after the second interception for touchdown. The Jets offensive game plan pretty much got destroyed with how quickly the Bengals jumped out to a 14-0 lead but Mornhinweg started the game passing and running with Powell instead of going with Ivory who had the hot hand from last week. Powell was going to have increased playing time because of his pass block ability but Ivory needed to get more time.
3) Offensive line dominated – The Jets could not run at all and the Bengals got pressure when they wanted and needed sacking Smith 3 times and pressuring him countless others. Brian Winters was beaten cleanly for one sack and the Bengals seemed to key on exploiting him. Geno Atkins had 3 quarterback hits and a sack. Reggie Nelson got two sacks on overload blitzes that weren’t picked up by the back. Powell and Ivory combined for 24 yards and 1.85 yards per carry.
4) Some positives – David Nelson had 8 catches for 80 yards. Zach Sudfield caught his first two passes ever as a professional. Bilal Powell had some jump in his legs when he got the ball on swing passes in the flat. Cribbs averaged 26.4 yards per kickoff return including a 36 harder. Ellis Lankster had two beautiful special teams coverage tackles. Wilkerson had a sack, a tackle for loss, a quarterback hit and an interception.
5) Folk still perfect on field goals but awful on kickoffs – Folk hit another 3 field goals this time from 45, 47 and 50 yards but was consistently short on his kickoffs and it cost the Jets dearly in the final minute of the 2nd quarter as Tate took it back 79 yards for the Bengals and set up a touchdown where they probably would have run once and took a knee if Folk were able to kick the ball out of the end zone.
6) No major injuries – David Nelson left with an ankle injury but did return. Stephen Hill left with a leg injury in the 3rd quarter but also returned.
7) No Matt Simms will not be starting next week – Simms once again faced the backups coming in behind by 40. Geno Smith is the one being developed (yes despite today he is developing well). Smith ran into a buzz saw today and based on his makeup should rebound next week well.