The Jets defeated the Jaguars 37-13 in a game where Sanchez played very inconsistently, the first team defense had a lot of trouble stopping Blaine Gabbert, the offensive line dominated, the running game flourished and the backups were tremendous. The big story coming out of this game could be an injury to Quinton Coples who did not return after injuring his ankle rushing the passer. The severity of the injury is not known at this time.
1) Before the game Santonio Holmes not only ran sprints at full speed, he also did some cutting and caught some balls from Geno Smith. I think he avoids landing on the PUP list to start the season and the date he returns to practice will dictate whether he is ready to go Week 1 or Week 3.
2) Geno Smith, Brian Winters and Kenrick Ellis were inactive. Ellis’ back injury is troubling because that is the same lingering issue Po’uha had last year which limited his effectiveness. Whether or not Ellis practices on Monday will be telling. Winters has missed both preseason games and probably cannot unseat Peterman at Guard. Geno Smith will probably get another chance in the quarterback competition next week in practice and Saturday against the Giants before his fate is decided.
3) Mark Sanchez is consistent in his inconsistency. Sanchez finished 13-23 for 169 yards with one touchdown and one interception. His play tonight will extend the competition into Week 3 of the preseason. Sanchez looked good on the first drive going 3-3 48 yards and a TD. Completing a 11 yard pass to Hill in tight coverage which was a nice grab by Hill, a 14 yard crossing route to Kerley on a 3rd and 4, and a strike to Cumberland for 23 yards on a broken coverage. Sanchez’s second drive made it inside the 10 yard line before stalling when he overthrew Hill on a 3rd and 2. Sanchez looked comfortable and had a clean pocket as was is 5-6 for 59 yards and a touchdown through 2 drives. The third drive was run heavy until it was derailed by the interception.The interception was in the end zone and was unnecessary. The ball should have been thrown away. Sanchez’s play deteriorated after the interception he was just 3-10 after starting 5-5 and held the ball too long on a 3rd down inside the Jaguar’s 10 yard line that left the Jets without any points at all in the first half. Sanchez had a nice drive with the second team but against Jacksonville’s second team resulting in a Khalil Bell touchdown run. Sanchez’s next drive had no passes but all runs that led to Khalil Bell’s second touchdown, a 1 yard run and his last was highlighted by a 31 yard pass to Reuland and ended up with a Folk field goal. Also he is rocking a badass Fu Manchu so he has that going for him. Geno Smith is g0ing to have to grow Mutton Chops for next week’s game to compete.
4) The offensive line has been terrific in both protecting Sanchez and owning the line of scrimmage to help the running game. After having less than 40 yards rushing the Jets rushing attack sprung to life for 81 first half yards on 13 carries for over 6 yards per carry. Powell had 7 carries for 68 yards including a 37 yard run through a huge hole opened by Colon and Howard. Powell has looked quick and decisive. Chris Ivory has 6 carries for 13 yards so far but it is clear he runs hard and hits harder. Khalil Bell had a nice drive that culminated in a touchdown run rushing 5 times for 23 yards. I even saw a good Vladimir Ducasse block.
5) Special teams were excellent. The coverage team was great limiting returns and even recovered a muffed punt at the Jacksonville 3 yard line. Clyde Gates flashed well as a kickoff returner having a 44 yard kickoff return to start the game as he hit the hole decisively. A great spin move by Gates highlighted his second return which went for 38 yards. Third return had no room and went for only 15 yards. Folk hit both of his field goals including one from 54 yards and was 2-4 on touchbacks although he did kick the second half kickoff out of bounds. Rontez Miles had a couple of nice tackles. Quigley had a 49.3 yards per punt average.
Aug 17, 2013; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert (11) passes the ball against the New York Jets during the first quarter of a preseason game at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
6) The defense got lit up by Blaine Gabbert. Jacksonville ran a hurry up offense that was full of short passes that had a lot of yards after the catch. Milliner beaten pretty badly by Ace Sanders for a 35 yards across the middle. Dee Milliner got abused and looked like a rookie tonight. Gabbert has picked on him as the Jaguars have thrown a variety of looks his way. The linebackers were exposed in coverage. Harris got torched by Jones-Drew for a flat pass that turned the corner. A misdirection pass to the tight end Reisner registered a touchdown. Denard Robinson got to the edge too many times for big runs. There were definitely communications mistakes that should be expected with this many new starters. Cromartie missed a tackle on a 3rd and 5 that would have ended a Jacksonville drive but made up for it with a brilliant one to stop Jacksonville’s 1st drive of the second half. Jaiquawn Jarrett did not make an impact only making 1 tackle with no pass breakups.
7) Despite the struggles the first team defense only allowed 1 touchdown and 13 points.Wilkerson got penetration on multiple occasions and continues to showcase his strength. Coples also got multiple pressures and showed excellent quickness and agility for a 290 pound man. Coples seemed to tweak his ankle on a near strip sack. He left this game for an x-ray and has not returned to the sideline. Dawan Landry had 8 tackles, 6 solo. Sheldon Richardson had 6 tackles including a nice hit but has not been in the backfield just yet. Leger Douzable continued his strong camp with a pressure and pass breakup. Danny Lansanah continues his strong play with an interception that he then fumbled but it was recovered by Antonio Allen. Ricky Sapp recorded a sack on a play where the entire defensive line pushed pocket. Ellis Lankster had a nice night with a pass breakup and good hit and Darrin Walls made the adjustment to look back for the ball in coverage.
8) Braylon Edwards made some nice plays including a beautiful diving catch and nice tip toe along the sideline. Bohanon has done a good job. He has made a difference in the run game and has excellent hands he can even carry the ball some. He could not hold a block that led to a sack, however. Konrad Reuland blocked well and had a 31 yard reception. Spadola had 3 catches and got some separation while in with the 3rd team. Simms was 5 of 5 on a drive that led to a short Cundiff field goal.
9) 2 penalties in the first half for the Jets, a big improvement over 11 last week. Although Ricky Sapp did manage to find his way offside again in the second half.