December 29, 2012; Bronx, NY, USA; West Virginia Mountaineers wide receiver Tavon Austin (1) is tackled by Syracuse Orange cornerback Wayne Morgan (2) during the third quarter of the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
1. Kansas City ChiefsLuke JoeckelOT, Texas A&M
2. Jacksonville JaguarsSharrif FloydDT, Florida
3. Oakland RaidersGeno SmithQB, West Virginia
4. Philadelphia EaglesEric FisherOT, Central Michigan
5. Detroit LionsZiggy AnsahOLB, BYU
6. Cleveland BrownsDion JordanOLB, Oregon
7. Arizona Cardinals
8. Buffalo BillsChance WarmackOG, Alabama
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers **TRADE** (from NYJ)
Dee MillinerCB, Alabama
10. Tennessee TitansJonathon CooperOG, North Carolina
11. San Diego Chargers
Star LotuleleiDT, Utah
12. Miami Dolphins Xavier RhodesCB, Florida State
13. New York Jets **TRADE** (from Tampa Bay)Tavon AustinWR, West Virginia
14. Carolina PanthersBarkevious MingoOLB, LSU
15. New Orleans SaintsBjoern WernerDE, Florida State
16. St. Louis RamsCordarrelle PattersonWR, Tennessee
17. Pittsburgh SteelersJarvis JonesOLB, Georgia
18. Dallas CowboysKenny VacarroS, Texas
19. New York GiantsMante TeoILB, Notre Dame
20. Chicago BearsDante JonesDE, UCLA
21. Cincinnati BengalsSheldon RichardsonDT, Missouri
22. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)Matt ElamS, Florida
23. Minnesota VikingsKeenan AllenWR, California
24. Indianapolis ColtsAlec OlgeltreeILB, Georgia
25. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle)
DT, North Carolina
26. Green Bay PackersDeandre HopkinsWR, Clemson
27. Houston TexansRobert WoodsWR, USC
28. Denver BroncosDemontre MooreOLB, Texas A&M
29. New England PatriotsEddie LacyRB, Alabama
30. Atlanta FalconsTyler EifertTE, Notre Dame
31. San Francisco 49ersEric ReidS, LSU
32. Baltimore RavensKevin MinterILB, LSU
What was exchanged in the big trade? Basically, it’s two separate trades:
1) Jets and Bucs swap 1st round picks.– Jets get #13 overall, and a 2013 3rd round pick(#87)– Bucs get the 9th overall pick.
2.- Jets deal Revis to Bucs:-Bucs get RevisJets get:– 2014 1st round pick– 2014 Conditional 2nd round pick (if he plays “X” number of games in 2013)– 2014 4th round pick-2014 6th round pick
Why did each team want to trade?
1. The Bucs watched closely as Dee Milliner dropped to the Bills at #8. As the Bills go with Warmack to improve their offensive line, the Buc’s see a golden opportunity in front of them. I envision the Buc’s front office would be intrigued with the idea of having Darrelle Revis, Dee Milliner, Dashon Goldston, and Mark Barron. Man what a secondary that’d be! They will give up a lot, however.2. The Jets really wanted Dion Jordan to slip to #9. If he goes early, and the Jets feel they can get a front seven defender early in round two (like Margus Hunt), they could listen to offers to trade down. And if Tavon Austin is sitting on the board at #13 overall, the Jets could pull the trigger. Talk about an offense lacking “playmakers”, Tavon Austin could jump right into the lineup. He’s been referred as “Harvin 2.0” by some, but it remains to be seen how good he’ll be in the pros.
As a Jets fan, I’d be happy with this outcome IF, they get a pass rusher in round 2. That’s a big if, though. This would ultimately be Mark Sanchez’s last chance to prove his worth as a franchise quarterback, or “Franchez”, as I once called him. Mark would have Santonio Holmes, Tavon Austin, Stephen Hill, and Jeremy Kerley to throw to. There’d be no excuse for Mark to not get the job done.I could see the Jets taking DE Barkevious Mingo, TE Tyler Eifert to fill the hole left by Keller, or even CB Desmond Trufant to (try to) replace Darrelle Revis… but we’ll go with Austin.
This mock, it’s Tavon Austin and a king’s ransom for new GM John Idzik and the future of the New York Jets. Hey, you never know. Idzik could want to stockpile draft picks and rebuild this team through the draft.
Thanks for reading!Here’s a highlight reel of WR Tavon Austin… If Mark Sanchez can’t succeed with this guy, he’ll be on his way out.
Be sure to Follow @JETSerious on Twitter!