In second week preseason action, the Jets trounced the Cincinatti Bengals 27-7. For the complete box score, click this link :
Many more highs than lows this week, first, the highs:
- Mark Sanchez was sharp again, going 12-20 for 173 yards and 2 TDs, to the newly dubbed “Flight Men”, Santonio Holmes and the man who made his debut tonight………
- Plaxico Burress, who made his debut tonight after not playing in an NFL game for approximately 1,000 days, made his presence felt right away. The Jets first play from scrimmage was a 20 yard hookup from Mark Sanchez to Burress. Late in the first half, Mark Sanchez and Plaxico Burress hooked up on a beautiful 26 yard TD pass, capping a 10 play 99 yard drive. Plaxico finished with 3 catches for 66 yards and the 1 TD. As fellow writer Mark Greenberg wrote tonight, Get used to Sanchez to Burress for 6.
- Dustin Keller got in on the action this week, after getting shut out last week, with 4 catches for 73 yards.
- The defense played well, made big plays, including 3 interceptions, one by Eric Smith, one by Jim Leonhard, and one by Brashton Satele.
- Aaron Maybin, just acquired after being released by the Buffalo Bills, had a strip sack, coming from the blind side on a great play. The Jets didn’t recover the fumble, but it was still a nice sign for possible things to come.
- It’s amazing how much better the offensive line plays when Nick Mangold is in the lineup, giving up only 2 sacks throughout the game.
- Kicking game was pretty even, Nick Folk did miss a field goal attempt, but connected in the driving rain for a 5o yarder. TJ Conley outkicked Chris Bryan by 3 yards on average, 45.0 to 42.7
And a few lows:
- Other than the Aaron Maybin sack, there wasn’t much of a pass rush to speak of.
- The first team rushing attack was very sluggish, with Ladainian Tomlinson rushing 9 times for 16 yards. This was in part, however, to the offensive line still not being complete.
- The first team offense was still having it’s red zone issues, netting -2 yards on their trips inside the 20, aside from the 16 yard TD to Santonio Holmes. Putting up a lot of points is great, but they have to get better at converting consistently in the red zone. The Jets were 30th in the league at converting TDs in the red zone. That has to get better.
All in all a much improved outing tonight in the rain at New Meadowlands Stadium. Let’s see them get even better on Saturday night against the Giants, in the final real tune up for the starters before week 1.
Tags: Aaron Maybin Alan Schechter Brashton Satele Chris Bryan Dustin Keller Eric Smith Jim Leonhard Ladainian Tomlinson Mark Sanchez Nick Folk NIck Mangold NY Jets Plaxico Burress Santonio Holmes Tj Conley