New York Jets Activate QB Matt Simms
Aug 28, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; New York Jets quarterbackMatt Simms
(5) throws against the Philadelphia Eagles during the first half at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
Apparently, the Jets aren’t too sure that Geno Smith will be ready to play if necessary tomorrow.
Word is in from “Pro Football Talk” that the Jets have activated Matt Simms for the game tomorrow against the Chiefs. Simms has spent the season to date on the practice squad, playing well enough during the preseason to make the team. Simms came on in relief of Geno Smith a few times during the 2013 season, so a backup role is no stranger to the son of Giants’ great Phil Simms.
More from Jets News
- NY Jets should target TE Hunter Henry in free agency
- NY Jets: Why the team should target cornerback Shaquill Griffin
- NY Jets reportedly non-tendering linebacker Harvey Langi
- NY Jets: Why the team should not cut Jamison Crowder
- NY Jets should try to sign Kenny Golladay in free agency
There will definitely be discussion around the fan base about “Shouldergate”, people wondering if the Jets are trying to move on from Geno, using his shoulder to do it. Clearly they are not convinced that he can play tomorrow if needed, listing him as questionable for the game. I would expect to see Simms listed as second string and Geno Smith as the emergency quarterback.
It will be interesting to see if the Jets are willing to make a move to Matt Simms if Michael Vick falters during the game.