Geno Smith on being Benched for Michael Vick
Oct 26, 2014; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Jets quarterbackGeno Smith
(7) throws the ball prior to the game against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
It happened. Geno Smith is sitting on the bench in favor of Michael Vick. Three interceptions on three consecutive drives sent Vick into the game and Geno to the bench. How did Geno take it? In a manner of fact kind of way…
There was none. I just went on with my day.
More from Jets News
- NY Jets should target TE Hunter Henry in free agency
- NY Jets: Why the team should target cornerback Shaquill Griffin
- NY Jets reportedly non-tendering linebacker Harvey Langi
- NY Jets: Why the team should not cut Jamison Crowder
- NY Jets should try to sign Kenny Golladay in free agency
He was then asked the followup as to whether or not he was frustrated, and Geno had this to say:
I’m obviously frustrated because it happened. You never want that to happen. I wouldn’t use the word frustrated. I think I’m just more disappointed obviously because we lost and then to turn around and get the news. You’ve got to move on and be professional about it. I’m always going to be here for my teammates and in support of Mike and everyone. That’s basically how I’m looking at it, finding ways to get better and helping this team any way I can.
Geno still believes he can be a franchise quarterback, and that his chance with the Jets is not over:
Well, to answer your first question, without a doubt (I believe I can be a franchise quarterback). And to answer your second question, I don’t believe so. I don’t believe so. I believe that what we’re doing now is, obviously, our coach’s decision and I’ve got to live with it and I’ve got to find ways to get better and use this to my advantage.
Geno Smith may be right. He may get another shot to be the guy here. But he had better get it right, and soon.