Devin Hester Breaks Kick Return Record on Thursday Night Football
Sep 18, 2014; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Falcons quarterbackMatt Ryan
(2) greets wide receiverDevin Hester
(17) before their game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports
Big night for Devin Hester on Thursday Night Football.
More from Jets News
- NY Jets should target TE Hunter Henry in free agency
- NY Jets: Why the team should target cornerback Shaquill Griffin
- NY Jets reportedly non-tendering linebacker Harvey Langi
- NY Jets: Why the team should not cut Jamison Crowder
- NY Jets should try to sign Kenny Golladay in free agency
After taking an end around for a rushing TD from 20 yards out, Devin Hester has made history. Devin Hester ran a punt for 62 yards and a touchdown, his 20th career return touchdown, breaking the NFL record of 19, previously held by Deion Sanders.
Devin Hester paid tribute to Sanders by emulating his “prime time” high step on his way to the end zone. It earned him a taunting penalty, but the reference was clear. Sanders is in the building for the game, and was Devin Hester’s long time mentor as well. Sanders predicted that the record would be broken tonight.
It was a special night for Hester as well, with the game against the Bucs. That means the record was broken in front of Lovie Smith, now coach of the Bucs, but Hester’s previous coach with the Bears. Smith brought Devin Hester into the NFL in Chicago, and considers Hester a member of the family.
Congrats to Devin Hester on a remarkable career.