Geno Smith to Start Week One for the New York Jets
Aug 22, 2014; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Jets quarterbackGeno Smith
(7) scrambles against the New York Giants during the second quarter at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports
Just a few moments ago, Rex Ryan finally announced the worst kept secret in the NFL, and possibly the worst kept secret in sports. He announced that Geno Smith will be the starting quarterback when the season begins September 7th against the Oakland Raiders.
More from Jets News
- NY Jets should target TE Hunter Henry in free agency
- NY Jets: Why the team should target cornerback Shaquill Griffin
- NY Jets reportedly non-tendering linebacker Harvey Langi
- NY Jets: Why the team should not cut Jamison Crowder
- NY Jets should try to sign Kenny Golladay in free agency
This is no surprise to anyone, it doesn’t even deserve the term “breaking” in the title. Geno Smith has gotten nearly all of the first team snaps during training camp. Michael Vick has almost exclusively been with the second string offense, marking one of many dead giveaways.
Geno Smith has also been markedly better in the preseason, making good throws, efficient decisions, and taking care of the football. As long as he did that, there was going to be no question that Smith would start.
Even Michael Vick had acknowledged that he is not here to start, talking about how at this point he is “taking a back seat”, as he helps the other quarterbacks learn and grow. During tonight’s game, he was noticeably excited when they were successful.
So there you have it, the “breaking” news, if you will.