Notes from New York Jets’ Training Camp: July 24, 2014
Jul 24, 2014; Cortland, NY, USA; New York Jets quarterbackGeno Smith
(7) passes the ball during training camp at SUNY Cortland. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Training camp has begun! The first workout is in the books! Can I get an amen and a hallelujah? OK, how about an “It’s about time!” ? Football is back, and not a moment too soon.
Here are some observations from today’s workout, culled from tweets sent by reporters that were in attendance.
- Geno Smith was sharp: This is nothing but good news. Other than one errant throw that was noted because it was almost intercepted, Geno Smith looked quite good. He divided the snaps with Michael Vick 75% to 25%, and showed the fans in attendance why.
- Clyde Gates did not: This probably doesn’t surprise many, but look at this troubling tweet regarding his performance today:
Gates has now beaten his man 3 times. 2 drops and lost the other in the sun. SMH… #NYJ
— Chris Lopresti (@CLoprestiWFAN) July 24, 2014
This obviously is not a good sign for Gates, with all of the additions made at wide receiver coming into 2014.
- Chris Johnson impresses: Everyone, including coach Rex Ryan, was impressed watching Chris Johnson on the field today. Chris Ivory was bothered by a minor hamstring issue, so Johnson got the bulk of the work today. Johnson caught passes out of the backfield, and was moving quite well.
Chris Johnson looking very light on his feet out there. Plenty of cuts too. Great sign for #NYJ — Chris Lopresti (@CLoprestiWFAN) July 24, 2014
- Guess who had more trouble?: I think the following tweet says it all, and represents this player’s run with the Jets to date:
Pass to Stephen Hill sails through his hands. Hill needs a strong camp. Scholarship has expired. #nyj
— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) July 24, 2014
We will keep you posted, as usual, as workouts occur.