Photo Credit: Scott Olmos-USA TODAY Sports
Brandin Cooks – WR – Oregon State Beavers
-Weight: 186 lbs.
- Has breakaway speed, hard for cornerbacks to guard him downfield
- Very athletic, separates from defenders with ease
- Has quick hands that can catch tough passes thrown to him
- Runs crisp routes with fluidity; quick feet that can stop and go or turn fast
- Potential punt returner in the NFL – above average vision, can see defenders coming at him
- Small for a wide receiver, built like Tavon Austin. May struggle in tight coverage
- Struggles when blocking
Brandin Cooks is a very fast, elusive wide receiver who could fit well in the New York Jets offense. Although he has a small frame, he can make crisp cuts and get open off of slants. He would thrive as a slot receiver in the NFL and could become a punt returner in his rookie season. While at Oregon State, Cooks accumulated a NCAA D1-leading 1,730 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. He is a threat all over the field, especially with the team’s number two cornerback or safety on him.
Projection: First Round Pick
With the great need the Jets have for weapons on the outside, Cooks would be a great addition. The Jets were impressed with him at the NFL Combine, so this is a match that may be made in heaven.