Jul 27, 2013; Cortland, NY, USA; New York Jets wide receiver Clyde Gates (19) walks to the field prior to the start of training camp at SUNY Cortland. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
The fourth practice for the New York Jets is in the books. Here are some thoughts and observations culled from folks in attendance:
- CLYDE GATES EARNING MORE PRAISE: He finally had a drop today, but that is going to happen. Onlookers noticed his route running again today, noticing the vast improvement in that area. Clyde may be coming on strong to be a force on this team.
- NO DEE MILLINER, NO PROBLEM: Dee Milliner did not practice today, was not at the facility on time. Not to worry, gang, he IS signed, and will be practicing likely tomorrow. He just didn’t get to the facility on time, and the team was aware.
- STAND UP AND NOTICE MR. SMITH: The passing game had an overall tough day, but that is to be expected. We talked about this before, the fact that the defense is always ahead of the offense, especially early. However, through that, Geno Smith is getting noticed for his rocket arm. Like I said, the fight for the QB spot is on.
- TIGHT ENDS ARE LOOSENING UP: Both Kellen Winslow and Jeff Cumberland looked well today. Winslow made a nice catch on a low pass from Mark Sanchez, and Jeff Cumberland made his share of receptions today as well. Good signs.
- KENRICK ELLIS WITH A SACK: We all believe that the defensive line is going to be the strength of Rex’s defense. It was nice to finally see a bit of it today, with Kenrick Ellis chasing down Mark Sanchez for a sack.
- ELLIS LANKSTER PERFORMING WELL: Apparently one man’s holdout is another’s opportunity. The lack of Dee Milliner has given the opportunity for more playing time to Ellis Lankster, among others. All reports have stated that Lankster has taken the opportunity and performed quite well, which is a good sign for him.