Here are today’s notes from Jets’ camp:
- DEFENSE STEPS UP BIG TIME: I guess the guys read my article from earlier today, …haha. No but seriously, the defense finally had a standout day at camp. The pass rush was active. Michael Vick and Geno Smith couldn’t get much going, with the other quarterbacks having noticeably poor practices. Dawan Landry picked off Michael Vick during team drills. As good as the offense might be, this team will live and die with defense, as we all know. Good sign.
- SIGNS FROM STEPHEN HILL?: Could Hill be the one to answer my cry for a wide receiver stepping up? He did record a long touchdown this morning, although the man he beat was rookie Dexter McDougle. McDougle was working with the first team a bit, but you can’t hold it against Stephen Hill. He can only beat the guy in front of him, and catching passes count no matter who is defending.
- BIG WILLIE IS BACK: Just after being removed from the PUP list, Willie Colon was back, taking reps at right guard during team drills. You guys know how I feel about the offensive line by now, so having as many active players as possible is quite the encouraging thought. We need big Willie.
- INJURIES: As of this post, the seriousness of these injuries was not available, but David Nelson had to leave practice with a groin problem, and Bilal Powell left with a hamstring issue. Hopefully Rex will have some encouraging words on these.
- ZACH SUDFELD GETTING IT DONE: I always find it enjoyable to hear about players you don’t expect much from, turning heads with the coaches. This year, tight end Zach Sudfeld is getting it done, making the most of his reps in camp. We shall see if it continues, and whether or not Sudfeld will move up the depth chart.