It’s a few hours since the news went down Michael Vick has been signed, and Mark Sanchez has been released. I will bring you some more detailed thoughts tomorrow, but here are some bullet point “nuggets” to chew on about the situation:
- Bad job by the Jets holding on to Mark for so long. Yes, it was a business decision to keep him as insurance. But, they still could have given him the respect of being able to search for a job while more were still available.
- At least the contract was for only one year. One year, $5 million is a reasonable investment for a veteran quarterback in his mid-thirties.
- Mark Sanchez WILL land on his feet. Believe it or not, the young man can still play, and he will find a job with another team and will shine.
- There are good reasons to bring Vick in here. His familiarity with the offense is not a bad thing. A rapport with the offensive coordinator will help him here. Players that have played with Michael Vick absolutely respect him.
- His past has nothing to do with the next points I am about to make.
- Michael Vick will NOT be happy serving as a mentor to Geno Smith.
- Vick will be a problem before the end of the 2014 season.
- Geno Smith’s confidence will be shaken at some point by the presence of Michael Vick.
- We will come to regret this move by John Idzik. Good idea, bad execution.