Today was the next to last day of training camp, and the final day that practice is open to the public. Tomorrow’s final “training camp” practice is closed. Let’s get to the thoughts and observations of the day:
- Ryan Spadola continues to impress: The quote out of practice was “Spadola Catches Everything”. Ryan looked good again today, showing why he should make the final 53 man roster.
- Geno is ready to go: No formal announcement has been made yet as far as the starting quarterback for Saturday night’s game, but Geno looks like he is ready to perform. Some noticed a limp, but said it got better as the session went along. Smith was quite accurate, throwing 1 incompletion.
- Bilal Powell looks good in all phases: Bilal had another good showing today, including his blocking. He apparently laid out LB Troy Davis, turning the heads of anyone watching, and earning a low five from Davis himself. It’s nice to see the development of Powell.
- Stephen Hill makes the tough look easy: For all of the drops Hill has made on passes right to him, he can make the circus catch look manageable. He had one today, catching a 45 yard TD from Geno Smith over the top of cornerback Mike Edwards. If he can start catching all, he will really make an impact.
- Antwan Barnes makes presence felt: Barnes began showing in full force, why he will be an able-bodied substitute for Quinton Coples. He made offensive linemen look silly on multiple occasions as he pressured the QB, something we know the team is looking for from him.