Here are some thoughts and observations from today’s Jets practice from Florham Park:
- Geno is back, to mixed results: The good news is that Geno Smith was back, and moving well at practice today. It appeared that his ill-effects from the ankle have subsided, and he should play on Saturday night. However, his play received mixed reviews. He had a good set, and then was holding the ball too long, and threw interceptions.
- Stephen Hill dropping passes again: Geno got no help today, however, from Stephen Hill. He apparently banged up his knee a bit, but not enough to come out. He responded by dropping a pair of beautifully thrown deep balls from Geno. That obviously needs to stop.
- No timetable for Coples return: Confirming what we learned last night, Quinton Coples is out indefinitely. He was seen riding a scooter around the field today, and Rex confirmed there is no timetable for him to return. Garrett McIntyre is slated to start in his place, at least for now.
- John Idzik watching the offense: The general manager was making his presence felt today, standing right behind the offensive group and watching. Maybe he is trying to push the QB competition along, at least in his own mind?
- Joe McKnight returns in non-contact jersey: Joe McKnight lives, ladies and gentlemen. He was back at practice today, working out with the team in all phases. The only hold back was that he was in a red no-contact jersey. Could he be on the road back for Saturday night?
- Jaiquawn Jarrett back with the two’s: After impressing well enough to see time with the one’s last week, Jarrett was back practicing with the second defensive unit.
By all accounts, it was a sloppy practice today. Hopefully things will get better as the week goes along.