Let’s get to the thoughts and observations of the day, for Monday morning practice from SUNY Cortland:
- CHRIS IVORY IS BACK: Let’s start with the good news. Chris Ivory was seen today, actually participating in some regular drills, and taking contact. Ivory is absolutely on track to make his Jets’ debut on Saturday night. How great is that? Finally.
- JOE MCKNIGHT STILL HAVING HEAD PROBLEMS: As I reported earlier, Joe tried to make it through the morning session, but had no chance. He couldn’t stay hydrated. He was looked at several times by trainers before leaving the field. Not a good situation with Joe.
- RYAN SPEEDING HIS WAY UP THE CHARTS: Guess what name was coming up again, multiple times today? Ryan Spadola. He recorded more receptions, and was used on both kickoff and punt teams. We know how important playing on special teams is to making a football team, so this is a great sign for the young New Jersey native.
- GARRETT MCINTYRE WITH A SACK: After being injured on Friday night, it was nice to see McIntyre in the backfield rushing the passer. He is a linebacker that is just coming into his own, and a setback would not be good.
- QUARTERBACKS LOOKING GOOD: Despite the fact that he had a limp that was noticed, Geno Smith was still making all of the necessary throws. He seemed to look good, picked off by a diving Isaiah Trufant being the one major blemish. Onlookers described Mark Sanchez as “…lighting it up in seven on sevens.” It’s great to see both guys playing well. It means the job will be “earned”, no matter which guy takes it.
- A CRO SCARE: There was quite the nervous moment towards the end of the session. Antonio Cromartie left the field with trainers, looking at his left elbow. The worst was feared, but he came back in with a sleeve on his arm. Thank goodness that it wasn’t serious.
- BILAL POWELL MAKING THE MOST OF IT: Bilal Powell is still taking his opportunity and doing all that he can to make his case. The injuries have been a blessing for Bilal as he has looked good so far in camp, and looked good today. He put some nice moves on for a 50+ yard TD run.