The first preseason game is only a day away and is our first true look at the 2013 Jets. There are a few things that I will be looking for in the game:
1) Marty Mornhinweg’s New Offense – We got a little bit of a feel for how Mornhinweg scripts his plays at the Green and White Scrimmage and this is the first opportunity to see his tendencies in an actual game. What will be the run/pass ratio? How will they utilize the moving pocket? What routes are run? The playcalling will be vanilla but there are still clues to unearth.
2) Mark Sanchez vs. Geno Smith Round 1 – We’ve seen how they have performed in shorts and without the possibility of being hit. Now we get to see how they react to having the bullseye on their backs. How will both handle pressure from a very good and aggressive Detroit front 7? Will they force throws trying to make a play to win the competition or make good decisions? Can they move the ball and get points on the board? Can they be organized and avoid penalties?
3) The Rookies – The first look at Milliner, Richardson, Smith, Winters, Aboushi, Campbell and Bohanon. Five of those players may be opening day starters (Milliner, Richardson, Smith, Winters and Bohanon) and we have heard a lot about this draft class. Will Milliner hold his own opposite Cromartie? Will he be able to play press, off, zone and anything else thrown at him? Will Richardson be able to penetrate and create havoc from day 1? Will Smith be able to show he is right for the job? Will Winters be able to hold his own between Ferguson and Mangold or will he need significant help? How far along are Aboushi and Campbell in their development? Is there enough there to justify roster spots? Can Bohanon be a difference making lead blocker in the run game, a proficient pass blocker and a good safety valve and occasional runner?
4) Speed Kills – How fast is the defense? What impact will Demario Davis, Quinton Coples, and Antonio Allen have as starters? How fast will the secondary gel? How will they perform without Revis?
5) Injuries – Hopefully no major ones.
Plenty of stuff to watch, not much will be decided, but the answers will begin to come into focus.