The Jets got back to work at training camp this morning, following the Green and White scrimmage from Saturday night, and yesterday’s day off. Let’s get to the thoughts from the writers in attendance. Thanks to Rich Cimini, among others, for the live tweets that make our report possible:
- OFFENSIVE LINE GETTING IT DONE: Specifically, I am talking about the first team offensive line, the group we EXPECT to see a lot out of. From all I read, they are blowing guys off the ball, and Bilal Powell was reaping the benefits. Big run, after big run, after big run. It’s great to see the offensive line looking ready to get at it.
- IVORY AND WINSLOW STILL ON BIKES: The Tour de France is still alive and well, and two important players are still in the race. Kellen Winslow and running back Chris Ivory were still on the bikes today. I still say not to get too worried about Ivory yet, but it might be time to sweat if he can’t go on Friday night. Winslow has been on a pitch count, but it has been a few days since he has practiced. It might be worth keeping an eye on.
- SANCHEZ TAKES THE EDGE TODAY: The quarterback competition is not over yet by a long shot, ladies and gentlemen. Geno Smith had a couple of interceptions during 7 on 7 drills today, while Mark Sanchez continued the momentum he had gained at the end of the Green and White game. Aside from connecting with a golf cart outside the practice field at the end of practice, he was pretty sharp today.
- RYAN SPADOLA STILL GETTING IT DONE: The young UDFA is making a strong case to make this team coming out of training camp. Whether they are coming from Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith, Ryan Spadola is catching everything thrown his way, which is exciting for a group that there isn’t a lot expected out of.
- A NEW FULLBACK IN TOWN: Have we seen the end of Lex Hilliard? Early returns seem to suggest that possibility. Tommy Bohanon had one especially nice run today, where he lowered a shoulder into Isaiah Trufant, before continuing along his way. He is one to watch, and could be a steal from the end of the 2013 draft.