Here are some news and notes, culled from the Tweets of observers on hand at Florham Park today:
- Led by Ricky Sapp, the defense was ahead of the offense, yet again. This is still to be expected, being so early. However, how great a sign is it to see Sapp recording two sacks? Maybe he could add that beast off the edge that we have been waiting for.
- No talk of Tebow signing. Good for the Jets. It is nice to see the mainstream media reaching for comments, and the players are not biting. They have been told to concentrate on their own team. It’s about time. Good job by John Idzik, Rex Ryan and company.
- Winslow fit in with first team. You have seen my posts about how excited I am to see Winslow in camp. I think he could be a great find if he is healthy. Apparently, he started off well right away with day one, as he posted a couple of catches with the first team.
- Lackluster quarterbacking. For anyone looking for the numbers in the quarterback competition, look elsewhere. But it is worth noting the fact that nobody has looked great, with Mark and Geno looking very mediocre. Matt Simms was still ahead of Greg McElroy, though.
- Tone was teaching. He may not be ready to play quite yet, but it is great to see him sharing knowledge with his younger teammates. Good job out of him. Keep it up.
We will have more notes from tomorrow’s open-work out.