Here are some thoughts coming out of Rex Ryan and Woody Johnson’s press conference, which ended just a little while ago.
- Woody Johnson did, in fact, make keeping Rex Ryan as head coach a condition for the job of the new General Manager. In fact, he stated he gave no real consideration to firing Rex Ryan. How will that affect the new dynamic? We will find out after the hire is made.
- Mike Pettine is out. As I reported earlier, we knew he was going on interviews, but in the press conference, Rex stated that Mike will not be back, and they are beginning to set a candidate list. There were reports that Pettine and Rex had a falling out, and Rex wouldn’t comment, as to be expected. They can certainly find an internal candidate to fill that spot.
- Rex, at least publically, is moving away from the “Ground and Pound”. He said he loves the unpredictability of his defense, but feels that hasn’t gotten through to the offense yet, and he wants it to. He talked about having more of an attacking offense, which is an exciting prospect. Hopefully he will have the players on the roster to fill that dream.
- There is no timetable on the general manager hiring process. “When the process is over, it’s over, ” said Woody Johnson.
- Rex was fired up this entire conference. He frankly sounded a bit like the Rex we heard when he first came over. He was fired up, he wants to change this team for the better and win. That is what we want to hear. He fired Tony Sparano and will have final say on the coaching staff, with input from the new GM.
- They wouldn’t comment on specific players, but they did say that the best players will start, regardless of the financial situation they are in. Good sign.
All in all, there was no way not to like what you heard today, both from Rex Ryan and Woody Johnson. Hopefully, they will pick the right guy for general manager and put this plan into place.