Here are today’s thoughts and observations from the Jets open practice:
- The big news of the day is the guy to the right, Austin Howard. Our starting right tackle, at least for now. Wayne Hunter has been benched, to be used in jumbo packages and as an extra lineman. All of Jets nation is excited, as this is the moment we have all been waiting for. Howard has the job for now, but the team has not committed to him being the starter in week 1 yet, he will have to earn it.
- Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley both did limited reps in team drills today. It’s hard to tell whether they are going to play on Sunday night or not, but this has to be a good step in that direction.
- Royce Pollard seemed to step up today, catching at least one nice downfield pass. We need to see some WRs step up, and with all the injuries, it will be someone new. Maybe it’s Royce.
- Stephen Hill seems to be getting a lot of reps with Tim Tebow, and they are developing a pretty nice chemistry. Hill’s experience is in the option in college, maybe Hill will be out there a lot for the wildcat?
- I think this week we will finally start to see some downfield throwing. Why? Because it has been a point of emphasis in practice.