It was back to work for Rex and the gang today, getting ready for the game against the Giants this week. Here are some thoughts and observations:
- Nice to see Jeremy Kerley back on the field, although it was only returning punts. We found out that he is bothered by a slight hamstring tear. They need him, as the Jets are thin at wide receiver as we know.
- Greg McElroy had his best practice so far, by all accounts. This is good for him, as I see the real possibility that if something were ever to happen to Mark, McElroy could become the starter while leaving Tebow as the Wildcat quarterback.
- Tim Tebow had a huge practice, scoring a rushing TD from 25 yards out on a designed run play to him. I guess they are starting to put some of the Tebow packages in. Those will be exciting. Tim also hit a bomb TD pass to Stephen Hill. More on Hill next.
- Stephen Hill must show more concentration on looking the ball into his hands. He had a key drop Friday night in the preseason opener, and dropped a pass today on a 4th down play, trying to run before he caught it. To be a big time receiver in this league, that just cannot happen.
- Isn’t it interesting, right after Austin Howard received praise from coach Rex Ryan, all of a sudden, Wayne Hunter was ready to get back out there? He did split reps with Howard. Just interesting.
- A nice practice for both Marcus Dixon, and Kyle Wilson. Wilson recorded 2 interceptions, while Dixon posted 2 sacks, on back to back plays against Tim Tebow.
- Hopefully Joe McKnight isn’t seriously injured, as he left practice limping. We saw that the running back group didn’t do a lot to impress on Friday night, so they need Joe pretty badly.
They will be back at it tomorrow at 8 AM, closed to the public.