Here are some observations to take from today, as Rex Ryan and the gang got back to work for the start of minicamp:
- No quarterback competition, for now-Coach Ryan made that clear this morning, when he announced that Tim Tebow is going to only take snaps with the second team offense. This could change obviously, but for now, Mark Sanchez will be the only guy taking QB reps with the number ones.
- Chaz Schilens can play-If this guy is healthy, he will be a playmaking weapon for the New York Jets. He played well today at camp, including, by all accounts, making a spectacular TD catch in the corner of the endzone over Darrelle Revis. This guy has the ability to get things done if he can stay on the field for this team.
- Mark Sanchez is responding-He didn’t have a great start to the morning workout, but responded well by the end, throwing three TD passes during team drills. One to Dustin Keller, one to Chaz Schilens as mentioned before, and one to UDFA Royce Pollard.
- Quinton Coples is a beast-By all accounts out at training camp, Coples has been abusing the Jets offensive line rushing off of the edge, and nearly picked off Sanchez during team drills today.
- Turns out Holmes was hurt-Despite all of the grief he got from the media, it turns out that Santonio Holmes was injured last week during OTAs. He experienced tightness in his hamstring, and only did limited work today at minicamp.
Some early thoughts to take from Jets Minicamp, day one.