If you are just waking up on this Thursday morning and weren’t around for the excitement yesterday, here is the timeline on the Tim Tebow story:
- About 12:45 PM, the Jets announce a trade with the Denver Broncos, where they send their fourth and sixth round draft picks to the Broncos in exchange for their seventh round pick, and Tim Tebow.
- A few hours later, reports surface that there is trouble with the trade. A clause in Tebow’s contract regarding repayment of advanced salary causes the Jets to scramble around and figure out if they can complete the deal or not. Word is that the Jets signed the trade without completely reviewing the contract. Other teams did, and the clause drove them away from Tebow. The Jets must have missed it.
- Late afternoon comes around, and reports come up that the Jacksonville Jaguars are in the Tebow trade race once again, and it will come down to the Jets, or the Jaquars.
- Approximately 8 PM last night, we learn that the Jets have finalized the trade, same compensation as above, but the Jets agreed to pay $2.5 million to Denver to satisfy the repayment clause.
- Late last night, general manager Mike Tannenbaum does a conference call with the media, stating that he spoke with both Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow to discuss their roles, that there is no open competition at QB, Sanchez will start, Tebow the number 2 with some packages he will be involved with as well. Tebow is number 2, just six days after Drew Stanton was signed, and told he will be the number 2.
- Then we learn that the Jaguars offered a 4th round pick, and a larger monetary compensation to the Broncos than the Jets did. It was reported that Tebow chose the team he was going to go to, but that was refuted, the Broncos decided to send him to the Jets
Today, we a report has surfaced that Drew Stanton has requested off the team, via trade or release. This was to be expected, as one week ago, Drew was told he is the number 2, and now this. Stanton was given assurances that were just not true, and he gets the short end of the stick here. He should go to get his chance to actually be a number 2.