With the New York Jets heading to New England this Sunday, Patriots coach Bill Belichick spoke to the New York Media today.
Courtesy of ESPN NY and Rich Cimini, here are a few highlights from the Coach himself:
• Does the playoff loss to the Jets last season still sticks with him: “Of course. You never want to end your season the way it ended for us. That game’s in the past. Nothing we can do about it. Time to move on and face the challenges we have this week.”
• Will he study that playoff game in preparation for Sunday: “It’s a combination of all those things. We played them three times last year. There’s certainly things to be learned from each of the three games. And then, there are things to be learned from what we’ve seen from the Jets this year in preseason and their four regular season games.”
• On the Jets’ performance against the Ravens: “I think Baltimore is kind of one of those games. Unfortunately, we’ve all had a few of those along the way. It was a good night for Baltimore, and not as good a night for the Jets. I’m sure that they’ll bounce back. I don’t think that’s really indicative of their team. I wouldn’t put too much stock in what happened Sunday night.”
• If signing Shaun Ellis was because of his solid performances against the Patriots over the years: “Shaun has been a good player for the Jets since 2000, when he came in to the league. He has definitely played well against us. He’s played well against a lot of people. He’s a good football player, so I’d say that was the main point with Shaun.”
• Where his rivalry with Jets head coach Rex Ryan compares to other coaches: “I don’t rank them. I just try to prepare our team for each game and do the best that we can during the week to be prepared, go out and make good decisions and help the team win on Sunday. What’s important to me are the final results and trying to help this team win. That’s what we ask all our players to do and that’s what I try to do. I’m sure Rex is trying to do the same thing. He’s a good coach and they’re a good football team. It should be a great matchup on Sunday.”